Monday 12 March 2012

Wrapping Hair - not such a good idea after all!


So to get over the fact that I miss my hair I have been watching tons of youtube videos & exciting myself at the prospect of having healthy hair. 

I was going through one of the many hair care videos on youtube and I came across a lady who felt that wrapping her like so:



caused her ends to thin out on a particular side. Since the beginning of my HCJ (3 months ago) I've heard many people swear by wrapping their hair every night. Even before my HCJ, my cousin has tried to convince me to wrap my hair regularly as according to her it would:
  • keep my hair smooth & straight 
  • prevent tangles 
  • keep my hair moisturised 
  • make styling quicker etc
Now although the reasons above were very attractive I was way too lazy to spend 10 min + wrapping my hair before bed so ignored her & others, however when I started my HCJ I considered starting to wrap my hair for extra protection during the night. 

However after doing some research I have found that wrapping the hair has some MAJOR disadvantages! Wrapping your hair on a nightly basis in the same direction can cause BREAKAGE or the THINNING OF ENDS on a certain area of your hair. 

Many recommend that you alternate the side you start wrapping from or practice cross-wrapping instead to prevent breakage and in fact maintain length however there are still a handful of people that suffer from breakage no matter how the wrap their hair. 

As a result of this new discovery (for me) I will look into other methods of protecting my hair at night such a pin curls, rollers etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment