Sunday 5 February 2012

The Weave Series: The Various Types of Braid Patterns

There are several different types of braid patterns, three of which I have tried personally:

Full Head Sew In: whereby the client’s hair is completely braided up and no hair is left out. Perfect for someone who: finds it hard to abstain from the use of heat, is transitioning, or is trying to grow their hair. Within this type you can get a lace frontal, invisible part or the classic full head (in the pic below). I have only done this method twice & on both occasions removed it in under 5 days! The pain & tension I experienced on both occasions was unbearable! Plus it gives me the egg head effect :P I have learnt therefore that this method IS NOT FOR ME!



Tracks: whereby horizontal braids create a base to sew extension on with hair being left out to cover each track. This was the very first weave I had at 15/16 years old & I liked it a lot, although it didn’t last very long, caused my nape to break off, required me to straighten my hair regularly to ensure my hair blended well with the weave & was not protective at all! Why did I keep doing it for 2 years? Because I didn't know any better - ignorance at its finest!



Full Head Sew in with Hair Out: whereby hair is braided to create a base to sew extensions on but a fair amount of hair is left out, whether it be the front, the edges or the back (to allow a ponytail). This is the method I’ve been using for the last two years and the only one that works for me as a protective style without the intense pain. 


There are many other types of braid patterns & methods which do not require braids such as clip-ons, glue-ins, nets etc. However I cannot comment on these effectively as I have not used them myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment